Literary & Cultural Studies
Below are essay writing samples. Most can be understood under the umbrella of literary criticism.
- Conference Paper: “The Sentence Queers Modernism: What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell” (SAMLA 2019)
- Conference Paper: “The Diasporic Aesthetic:Spectral Knowing in Viet Thanh Nguyen’s ‘Black-Eyed Women’” (MELUS Annual Conference 2019)
- Book Review: Kathi Wolfe. Love and Kumquats: New and Selected Poems. Baltimore, MD: BrickHouse Books Inc., 2019. (Originally appeared in South Carolina Review 52.2 – Spring 2020).
- Form(s) and Ideology: Thinking Through the Diaspora with Gaiutra Bahadur’s Coolie Woman
- The Polemics of Andrew Piper’s Enumerations
Below are a set of commissioned pieces for Spry Literary Journal based on my work as an editor and contributor for the journal. These can be understood under the umbrella of Public Humanities.
- “18 Classic Books You Didn’t Read But Should’ve” Spry Literary Journal, October 5 2015
- “5 Books Every Writer Should Read” Spry Literary Journal, September 21 2015
- “The Overshadowed Books” Spry Literary Journal, September 7 2015
- “First Lines Matter: Famous Sentences that Begin Our Favorite Novels” Spry Literary Journal, August 24 2015
- “LGBT 20th Century Lit” Spry Literary Journal, August 10 2015